Fortunately, there are a few select candidates who realize all of the above. They are not natural politicians, but people from all walks of life who have a grounded understanding of the issues and propose well thought out and common sense solutions. One of them is significantly worthy of mention. He’s Dr. Marion Thorpe Jr., former Chief Medical Officer of the State of
Dr. Thorpe is a community leader and finds himself in a rare seat that the GOP can realistically pick up (The district, while heavily Democratic and currently being served by Democratic Representative Alcee Hastings for 16 years , has a very low voter turn out. Recent migration of large numbers of Republican seniors to the district also bodes well). More importantly, Thorpe is one candidate who can greatly enhance the Republican image.
As both political parties struggle to win over large constituencies by rallying people with hot button issues, the concerns that should be most pressing to Americans fall by the wayside. There is no room to mention them, let alone to tackle them in a sensible manner. These issues don’t rally crowds and supporters. Dealing with them would just be a sign of contemplative leadership that’s in tune with the needs of Americans. And without such an effort, congressional approval ratings will continue to hover around 10%.
The good news is that some select candidates (mostly stemming from
In short, Dr. Thorpe is the perfect candidate for the GOP for the following reasons:
- His platform is focused on the needs of the middle class. He articulates clear policy initiatives that would openly define the GOP as the party of middle class voters. His platform is a testament to the fact that the GOP is best poised to handle middle class concerns in a more sensible and effectual manner.
- No one is better poised than the former Chief Medical Officer of a state to highlight the danger of socialized and government run healthcare, a system that has failed in every country where it’s been implemented, at the greatest expense to those least well off.
- As an African-American conservative leader, he understands the issues facing minorities and has been extremely successful at reaching out to them on behalf of the party. Addressing traditionally Democratic African-American churches, he has made whole audiences more receptive to the GOP, as his message is one that resonates. His campaign is a mission to instill values in all youth and to this end he has put together an education and community-based platform to make this happen.
- He’s intelligent, articulate and highly competent.
- He’s sincere.
- He’s an effective voice for the GOP.
While I won’t get into Dr. Thorpe’s entire policy paper in the space of one column, some highlights should be pointed out. Dr. Thorpe’s campaign platform includes:
- Promotion of a high school course in financial responsibility that covers everything from how to balance a checkbook to the difference between safe and risky investments. Also included is a section on whether to buy, finance or lease a car. The course model is designed to drive home to students the real benefits that accumulating savings, staying in school and avoiding crime can mean in their lives, in ways they can understand, relate to and remember.
- Promotion of a middle school course that teaches personal responsibility, the end result of stable vs unstable personal and professional relationships, how to stand up to peer pressure and the lifelong benefits of standing up for what’s right.
- Health care that is made affordable without going to a government run system. Sole government management would eliminate competition, and thereby eliminate quality. Such a system also stands to be grossly mismanaged. An expansion of resources and methods that make health care accessible to all will remove the burden from the middle class.
- Development of programs that promote prevention should be advanced as they are of better service to the public, being more humane and having the added benefit of saving the government far more money in the long run.
- Cut wasteful spending so that we can concentrate on areas of true benefit to society.
The Democrats realize that the battle for the middle class is crucial. Republicans generally offer better solutions, while Democrats offer prepackaged ones that sound good on the surface but are often disastrous in the long run. In order for people to realize this, the conservative solution needs to be presented in an articulate and effective manner by a sincere and knowledgeable messenger.
We have such a candidate. Take a look at www.HealAmericaWithThorpe.com. I’d also urge readers to get involved in this campaign. His success will be of great benefit to the GOP.